Hardware vs. Software flow bypass in Suricata – Part 3

In Accolade’s blog post two weeks ago, we discussed the chosen traffic mix for a test of Suricata bypass. The ultimate goal of the experiment was to compare the performance and efficacy of Suricata bypass using an ANIC-40Ku, FPGA-based adapter versus just software with no hardware assist. This week we will begin discussing the results.’

The accompanying graphic clearly shows the result of each scenario. The HW portion of the bar graph indicates that roughly 70% (light blue color) of the traffic was bypassed or shunted away. This is precisely the expected result with the remaining 30% (green color) of traffic being processed by Suricata. On the other hand, without the hardware assist, Suricata was simply not able to keep up with the deluge of data coming at it. The software managed to process a bit over 50% (green color) of the overall traffic (including the portion to be bypassed) but simply could not handle any more. The balance of the traffic (about 45%) was simply dropped (red color) because all available CPU resources were exhausted.

In next week’s blog we will dive further into the test results and what they mean. For those that want to read ahead, please reference this technical brief:

Want to learn more?

Host CPU Offload Product Features Summary
100G wdt_ID Speed 1G 10G 10G 10G 10G/40G 10G/40G 100G 100G 100G 100G
ANIC-200Kq 1 Model ANIC-2KL
ANIC-4KL
ANIC-20Ku ANIC-40Ku ANIC-40Kq ANIC-80Ku ATLAS-1000
Platform
ANIC-100Ku ANIC-200Ku ANIC-
200KFlex
ANIC-200Kq
2 x 100G
QSFP28
2 Port/Type 2 X 1G
4 X 1G
SFP
2 X 10G
SFP+
4 X 10G
SFP+
1 X 40G
4 X 10G
QSFP+
2 X 40G
8 X 10G
QSFP+
SFP+
2 X 40G
QSFP

4 X 10G
SFP+
1 X 100G
CFP4
2 x 100G
CFP4
2 x 40G
2 x 100G
QSFP28
2 x 100G
QSFP28
Gen3 x16 3 PCIe Interface Gen2 x8 Gen3 x8 Gen3 x8 Gen3 x8 Gen3 x8 Gen3 x8 Gen3 x16 Gen3 x16 Gen3 x16 Gen3 x16
4.25 x 9.5 4 Dimensions
(H x L inches)
4.25 x 6.25   4.25 x 6.25 4.25 x 6.25 4.25 x 6.25 4.25 x 6.25 1.75 x
12.28 x 14
4.25 x 10.5 4.25 x 10.5 4.25 x 6.5 4.25 x 10.5
12G 5 Memory 256MB 4G 4G 4G 4G 16/32G 12G 12G 8G 12G
4 nS 6 Timestamp 10 nS 5.7 nS 5.7 nS 5.7 nS 5.7 nS 5.7 nS 4 nS 4 nS 4 nS 4 nS
7 100% Packet
Capture
8 Gigamon,
Arista
Timestamp
9 Packet Merging
10 Packet Parsing

About Accolade

Accolade is the technology leader in FPGA-based Host CPU Offload and 100% Packet Capture PCIe NIC’s and Scalable 1U Platforms. Accolade’s line of 1-100GE products enable 100% packet capture, flow classification, flow shunting, deduplication, packet filtering and more. Our customers are global leaders in network monitoring & cybersecurity applications as well as in the network test and measurement, telecom and video stream monitoring markets.

FPGA Acceleration Features

100% Packet Capture | Flow Classification | Flow Shunting | Precise Time Stamping | Packet Merging | Packet Slicing | Packet Parsing | Packet Filtering | Deduplication | Host Packet Buffer | Packet Steering | Direct Memory Access (DMA) | Statistics (RMON1)

Free Product Evaluation

Resolve all your host CPU offload bottlenecks. Share Your Technical Requirements with our FPGA and software experts to tailor the optimal solution. Accolade offers a 60 day free product evaluation for qualified customers to fully test and evaluate our products.